[svlug] DSL Modems - DSL San Francisco?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 19 22:47:01 PDT 2001

begin Greg Herlein quotation:

> So.  I now have a fairly good reason to change carriers, and
> while I am at it, change my equipment.  Ideally, I'd like to
> shift to a linux box with a PCI card DSL modem and do some QoS
> filtering and firewalling at the border of my subnets
> here.

Why not a standalone ADSL box?  We use a Westel, here, and it seems
fine.  Security and traffic management are left up to the individual
outside-network hosts.  Works for me.  No driver issues.  No hardware
hassle.  It just plugs away, moving packets to and from our LAN.

rick at linuxmafia.com       modern-American-English-usage-improvement association