[svlug] PPTP?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 19 22:42:02 PDT 2001

begin Robert L. Harris quotation:

> I need to do "PPTP" from my masq'ing firewall to work for VPM purposes.

PPTP is a completely botched VPN design:  I've forgotten _all_ of the
myriad ways in which it was screwed up at a fundamental level, but one
that sticks in my memory is that it uses the same key for authentication
and to encrypt the session.

I'd also be really flabbergasted if you ended up doing anything better
than 40-bit crypto.  Which is just pathetic.

Your employer should just give up and invite the public into its LAN,
since it's essentially doing so by using that pile of rubbish.

--
Cheers,           "I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate
Rick Moen         those who do.  And, for the people who like country music,