[svlug] PPTP?

Jose Medeiros cobra at jps.net
Thu Jul 19 11:06:02 PDT 2001

Hi Robert..

If you are using a Cisco / Alitiga box for VPN
then you need port 50, 51, 500 forwarded and a high port that you must
define if your client has a DSL router
running NAT, however it may be best to put the device outside your Border
router or in your DMZ.

For PPTP...

I found this..
Port Configurations for Input Filters
Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) Settings
Use the following configuration if you have clients on the internal LAN that
plan to connect to a PPTP server that resides on the Internet:
  Source 0.0.0.0 to Protocol TCP Source Port 1723
  Source 0.0.0.0 to Protocol Other Protocol Number 47
CAUTION: Never establish a PPTP connection to a corporate network from a
router that runs NAT or you may open potential security holes in the
corporate network.

Regards,

Jose Medeiros
VP NT Engineering Association