[svlug] tracking error in halt scripty

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at gorilla.it
Thu Jul 19 04:02:02 PDT 2001

On 18 Jul 2001, at 5:16, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya ivan
>
> i found linux doesnt shutdown properly when...

TY for the advices, they will be saved in the "what to do when"
folder...

Something that passed on this list taught me something that may
be helpful to you geeks to give me some further directions.

the "Saving random seed" message is contained into the K23random
script that belongs to the apmd, dummy, idedma, kerneld group.

I'm starting to suspect malfunctioning could be related to new
kernel setup, but the PC just don't want to shut down but it is
working regularly, X works, network works... puzzled!!!

idedma seems OK, my Sis chipset is supported.
I haven't been particularly original in configuring kerneld and
dummy interface in the kernel (how could I be?)
apm could be a problem...

Among the result I've been able to go a little bit further with
the shutdown process
Disabling ide dma mode hda hdc done
Saving random seed done
Running /etc/init.d/halt.local done
Sending all processes the TERM signal...
Turning off swap
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault failed
Unmounting file system
shmfs unmounted

freez

BTW the HD controller led doesn't turn off no matter at wich
point the shutdown process stops and 9 on 10 the shutdown
process freez at "Saving random seed". Among these 9, on 6 the
random seed is successfully saved on 3 the PC crash before I'm
able to see the word "done"

further directions to follow?

TIA

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at gorilla.it
Webmaster Gorilla.it http://www.gorilla.it
Tel. +39 02 26149225/26149008 Fax. +39 02 26149657
Via d'Apulia 11, 20125 Milano, Italy