[svlug] tracking error in halt scripty

Alvin Oga alvin at planet.fef.com
Wed Jul 18 05:17:02 PDT 2001

hi ya ivan

i found linux doesnt shutdown properly when...
- the server still has some "offline" remote server still mounted to it
	- check if "df" completes before shutting down or times out
- corrupted system libs
- bunch of zombies floating around

- if one shutdown dont work... use a different one
  ( they all do slightly differnet things on shutdown )
	- halt
	- reboot
	- init 6
	- shutdown -rf now
	- telinit 6
	- kill -9 1
	- ctl-alt-del
	- hit the reset and force it do e2fsck and clean up whatever
	  it finds... ( bad idea but....

use "strace shutdown_command"  and practice reading really fast...

put  "#!/bin/bash -x" into halt.local script and follow its code

have fun
alvin