[svlug] tracking error in halt script

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at gorilla.it
Wed Jul 18 05:03:01 PDT 2001

Beside the fact I should be more conscious of what I do to my PCs
even if I'm experimenting, _suddently_ (that means I didn't care to
notice which change caused the fault) Linux doesn't shut down
properly.
This could be vaguely related to PHP4 modules conflicting with some
other modules and some not so smart action I took editing the Apache
config files... This could be completely unrelated since I played too
much with this system without taking enough care to what I was doing.

Now I can't shut down the system properly.

I use halt, a SuSE script, and I find hard to track where the problem
may be.
Here is what I have in my boot.omsg:
Master Resource Control: previous runlevel: 5, switching to runlevel 6
Shutting down httpd done
Shutting down network device eth0 done
Disabling ide dma mode hda hdc done
Saving random seed done

and most of the times here the machine freez
sometimes it goes on...

Running /etc/init.d/halt.local done
Sending all processes the TERM signal...

but there seems to be no way to go on from there.

There are no relevant errors in the messages file
just mc can't find /dev/gpmctl

any advice? What kind of info should I collect to have a rough idea
of what is causing the problem?

TIA

--
avid reader of /usr/src/linux/Documentation/