[svlug] "tailing" a /dev?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Tue Jul 17 12:20:01 PDT 2001

Key phrase "should".  I've dealt with alot of systems having power cords
yanked, outages, etc.  That's why I'm trying to have this booger as
"automated" as possible.  If we have a datacenter power outage making
sure logging is on will be the last of my concerns.

Thus spake Aaron T Porter (atporter at primate.net):

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>
> > Right, but that means for every system, you have to manually go
> > in and do this.  After every reboot of the console (idealy once
> > a year, but very little is ideal) this will have to be done.
>
> 	Well, you're probably going to have what, 32 serial ports on your
> linux box? What I did was startup screen, enable logging on the terms and
> then symlink ~/log/servername to the proper screen log. As anecdotal evidence
> will show you, the uptime of a linux box shouldn't be a factor, and a
> terminal server should be incredibly stable, even for linux.
>
> $ uptime
>  12:07pm  up 243 days, 17:02,  4 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.30, 0.13
> $

:wq!
                                \_       that important!
DISCLAIMER: