[svlug] "tailing" a /dev?

Aaron T Porter atporter at primate.net
Tue Jul 17 12:11:01 PDT 2001

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Right, but that means for every system, you have to manually go
> in and do this.  After every reboot of the console (idealy once
> a year, but very little is ideal) this will have to be done.

	Well, you're probably going to have what, 32 serial ports on your
linux box? What I did was startup screen, enable logging on the terms and
then symlink ~/log/servername to the proper screen log. As anecdotal evidence
will show you, the uptime of a linux box shouldn't be a factor, and a
terminal server should be incredibly stable, even for linux.

$ uptime
 12:07pm  up 243 days, 17:02,  4 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.30, 0.13
$