[svlug] sendmail + 2nd MX

Derek Balling dredd at megacity.org
Sun Jul 15 08:46:01 PDT 2001

/etc/mail/relay-domains

It'd contain all the RHS's that you want to allow it to accept mail
for, explicitly for relaying it to the lower-priority MX'

One thing you want to consider is to have your secondary MX "in sync"
with your primary in terms of whatever anti-spam stuff you're using,
because when the secondary delivers it, the "source IP" will have
been lost, and you might end up accepting mail that you would have
preferred to have blocked with MAPS, etc.

Cheers,

At 2:50 AM -0700 7/15/01, Drew Bertola wrote:
>Since this list is so damn quiet, I thought I'd ask an easy question
>which comes up so frequently in a google search that I can't trust the
>quality of the answers.
>
>I've set up my dns server to point my secondary MX to a box running
>sendmail.  How do I tell sendmail on the secondary to deal with these
>posts if the first mail server fails?
>
>>From what I've read, I just tell sendmail on the secondary to "allow
>relay" for the primary mail host.  Is that right?
>
>--
>Drew Bertola  | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...
>               | http://jpager.com/Drew
>
>Linux 10th Anniversary Picnic/BBQ - visit http://linux10.org

| dredd at megacity.org  | "Conan! What is best in life?"          |
|  Derek J. Balling   | "To crush your enemies, see them        |
|                     |    driven before you, and to hear the   |
|                     |    lamentation of their women!"         |