[svlug] [svlug-announce] BayLISA meeting 19 July (next week)

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Jul 12 15:59:02 PDT 2001

BayLISA, the Bay Area Large Installation System Administrators, has a
Linux-based topic this month.  SVLUG members with a sysadminly interest
are also welcome to join us, July 19 at 7:30 pm, for:

              Google! Network and Machine Architecture

MEETING LOCATION

   As many of you may be familiar with by now, we're at the corporate HQ
   of Incyte Genomics.  You can find directions details at
	http://www.baylisa.org/locations/current.html

OUR SPEAKERS

   Frank Cusack is a system administrator at Google, where he is one of a
   too-small team that manages a currently 9000 large cluster of Linux
   machines. Frank's primary responsibilities are all things
   security-related, however as a jack-of-all-trades he provides input
   into all aspects of system and network administration. Frank pines for
   the days before spam.

   Dr. Jim Reese has been working with Unix since 1984. Since 1999 he has
   been the Chief Operations Engineer for the search engine Google.

THE TOPIC

   Jim Reese and Frank Cusack will discuss a few interesting aspects of
   Google's network and machine architecture.

     * Life of a query.
     * How google load balances across multiple data centers and
       thousands of Linux boxen.
     * Custom hardware design.
     * OS installation/reinstallation.
     * Machine synchronization.

TOYS

    Free (as in beer) boxer shorts.  As many BayLISA pens as you can stuff
    in your pockets.

BRING YOUR CHECKBOOK

    If you would like to buy some BayLISA pint glasses or T-shirts, our
    treasurer will gladly accomodate you.  Yes, we do have small and XXXL
    T-shirts too.  You can also buy individual or corporate memberships;
    we have a student rate available.

RFC = request for cookies?

   There will be sodas, water bottles and other drinks.  There will be
   little bits of cheese and cookies and so on as snacks.  If you need
   a meal, try to take just enough to get you through to the afterdinner,
   so a few more folks can get a nibble too.  Thanks.

THE AFTERDINNER

   A bunch of us like to go to The Board Walk afterwards to continue our
   conversations over dinner.  Board Walk has pizza, many kinds of sandwich,
   beer, soft drinks, and a few other snacks.

   Getting there: It's on El Camino Real.  To get there from the meeting,
	get back out onto Porter Drive, turn right (north) at Page Mill,
	turn right (east) on El Camino, and drive a bit.  It's just past a
	Jack in the Box and a Big&Tall Menswear, on the right (south) side
	of the street.

We look forward to seeing you next Thursday!

-* Heather Stern * Arch (secretary) BayLISA Board * http://www.baylisa.org/ *-