[svlug] It's official: I'm ESR's imaginary friend

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 12 00:30:02 PDT 2001

http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20010625_123.html#10

16 Jun - 18 Jun (9 posts): Kernel configuration. It's not just a job, it's
an adventure!

Eric S. Raymond finally snapped, and said (as they wheeled him down to his
padded cell):

Various people on the Linux kernel mailing list and elsewhere have been
heard to opine that CML2's user interface is too oriented towards
nontechnical users. In response to these complaints, I have implemented a
fourth CML2 front end with an interface style expressly designed for the
serious, hard-core hacker. A transcript of an example session follows:

-------------------------------------
Welcome to CML2 Adventure, version 1.6.1.
You are in a maze of twisty little Linux kernel options menus, all different.
The main room. A sign reads `Linux Kernel Configuration System'.
Passages lead off in all directions.

[...]

Several folks felt that Eric needed help immediately if not sooner, and Eric
later confessed, "I wrote most of CML2 Adventure on a long airplane flight."
But Wayne Browne said, "OK, Eric, you've finally done it. You've bypassed my
objections to CML2 and won me over. I *have* to try it now. :-)" Eric chose
to blame an imaginary being named "Rick Moen" (clearly an invented cognate
of his own name, to whit: "Eric" -> "Rick", and "RayMond -> "Moen" -- a
typical childish transposition in this sort of case).

[...]

--
Cheers,             You can't lick the system -- but you can certainly
Rick Moen           give it a damned good fondling....
rick at linuxmafia.com