[svlug] Where to buy used BIGIPs?

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Wed Jul 11 14:57:01 PDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:20:04PM -0700, William R. Ward wrote:

> (Please word-wrap your lines at or around 72-80 columns.  There are
> still mail programs out there that barf on long lines.)

Sorry, fixed my .exrc.

> What about the fact that for some applications you need certain
> clients to always go to the same webserver (even if their connection
> is dropped and reestablished), while with other more stateless apps,
> any webserver would fill the bill?  That's one feature of BigIP that
> my present employer needs...

I think you've hit on one of the biggest problems, probably the first
our network administrators would bring up. We do use "persistent
connections" for hotbot and wired news here, to keep clients on the same
server. Not to mention that connection based load balancing is only one
of the algorithms available on our Alteons.

I don't know if this has been addressed in netfilter or the "BALANCE"
patch.

BTW, it's appropriate for me to mention that I don't really administer
our load balancers, and therefore not an authority on their
implementation (but when oncall still have to fix them, go figure).
--
Nate Campi  (415) 276-8678  UNIX Ops, Terra Lycos - WiReD SF