[svlug] Where to buy used BIGIPs?

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Wed Jul 11 13:17:02 PDT 2001

Nate Campi <nate at wired.com> writes:
> We hate 'em, I'd probably use a linux box and iptables to load
> balance before I deployed a BigPOS (did I say POS? oops) in
> production again. Not that NetOps would ever let me, though.
>
> Of course, this isn't appropriate for the list, so any further talk
> on this topic should be off-list.

I think it would be on-topic to discuss a Linux equivalent to the
BigIP.  I'm sure it would take some rather hairy iptables entries and
custom tuning to get a Linux box to behave like a BigIP.  Is there any
kind of HOWTO or special software one can get to achieve this?

BigIP's are pricey, and in the New New New New Economy it's good to
save money...

--Bill.

                    (formerly known as hermit at bayview.com)