[svlug] XML vs HTML

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed Jul 11 11:18:01 PDT 2001

At 10:04 AM -0600 7/8/01, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>	I have been reading about a new file markup system called XML.
>There are books out on the language that are not real expensive.
>
>	HTML is a good language that was easy to learn and I have several
>web pages written with HTML.
>
>	My question to you is, as web designers, have you found a good
>reason to switch from HTML to XML? What are the reasons?

To save file formats and to exchange data. Not for web pages.

XML is not a markup language, it's a meta-specification.

HTML is an instance of an SGML-compliant markup language. So is XML.
Well-formed HTML *is* XML, but HTML is not required to be well-formed.

By well-formed, I mean a closing tag for each opening tag, like so:

XML is all a part of Sun's rah-rah-Java initiative, to the point
where Java build files are XML. The catch is that their parsers, by
comparison with the stuff I've seen for MacOS X, suck (for MacOS X,
the toolbox can read in an XML file as a dictionary).
--
_Deirdre    Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com    http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time.... Is infinite time. You... are finite....