[svlug] Adding hardrive advice .,.

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Tue Jul 10 13:42:02 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 10:42:05AM -0400, David Cornwell wrote:
> In a nutshell, are there faqs walking a new user through adding a harddisk
> to an old machine? What should I get, EIDE, ATA, ATA adaptor or not?

I hope that Rick Moen won't mind me referring to his FAQ, but he has a
lot of information on the subject (geared more toward 486s than
Pentiums, but very useful nonetheless) at
<http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#486>.  Let me call particular
attention to his link to the Large-Disk-HOWTO:
<http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-11.html>.

In particular, it appears that if you do have problems with a 30-40GB
drive, you could use your old, smaller drive to boot from and then use a
variety of software methods to get the full capacity.  (Your BIOS may
not like it, but Linux doesn't care what the BIOS thinks, as long as you
can get the kernel up and running.)

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should