[svlug] Chicken & Egg with RPM 4?

Karl F. Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jul 10 05:11:02 PDT 2001

	The reason you want to upgrade to RPM 4.0 is so you can load new
software that has been put into an rpm file with RPM 4.0. Your options are
to look for a RPM that was made with RPM 3.0 of the same software. If not
found then about your only option is to upgrade to Red Hat 7.1 and be
happy for awhile. This is about the only valid reason to upgrade your Red
Hat. My experiance with version 6.1 was that it's very good. But I too had
the problem your having and I upgraded to 7.0, which is a disaster! But
soon RH came out with 7.1 which works fine.

	A tarball of the software might work if you can compile it on a
6.1 computer and then ftp the binary to the remote computer.

--
Yours Truly,

  	 - Karl F. Larsen, k5di at arrl.net  (505) 524-3303  -