[svlug] Chicken & Egg with RPM 4?

Joe McCabe jmccabe at netscape.com
Mon Jul 9 11:24:02 PDT 2001

Aaron T Porter wrote:
>         You've skipped a number of intermediate revisions. Try grabbing the
> latest rpm from the RedHat Updates section, then stepping up by revision. If
> you're lucky, the version in the Updates section will work fine. Man, do I
> like apt & dpkg.

Don't ask me to explain why this is, but the problem seems to stem from
RedHat providing diferent file lists to different ftp clients (at least
it's providing a different list to Netscape Communicator and ncftp).

Using ncftp I went to

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/up2date/rhl-6.2.old/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

and found a plethera of RPMs needed for the update:

db3-3.1.17-4.6x.i386.rpm
libxml-1.8.6-2.i386.rpm
popt-1.6.2-6x.i386.rpm
rpm-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm
rpm-build-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm
rpm-python-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm
tcl-8.0.5-35.i386.rpm

There are some others scattered in this directory that may be needed,
but I think this is the required set.

Thanks!

--
JMcCabe    If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure.
Moz' Pad   --Inspiring words by VP Dan Quayle, 1990