[svlug] Chicken & Egg with RPM 4?

Joe McCabe jmccabe at netscape.com
Mon Jul 9 10:34:01 PDT 2001

All -

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I've got a server running colocated
several states away. As such it's difficult for me to update certain
aspects of the RH6.1 OS installed on it (kernel, etc). One of the things
that I need to update is the version of RPM - currently installed in
RPM3, and i need to move it to RPM4. And thus my problem...

When I attempt to install the rpm-4.0-4.rpm package I get errors:

rpm -Uvh rpm-4.0-4.i386.rpm
only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of
RPM
error: rpm-4.0-4.i386.rpm cannot be installed

So that's no good since the RPM4 package is in RPM4 format and, sadly,
RPM3 doesn't know how to play with this. My next option is to grab the
tarball of the compiled RPM4 (rpm-4.0.2.i386.tar.gz) and manually
install. The risk that I see is that extracting this tar could munge up
my current RPM3. Not a problem if the RPM4 works, but a major problem if
it doesn't work (then I've screwed up the RPM3 and the RPM4).

Anyone have any thoughts on how I should proceed? Grab the tiger by the
tail and extract the tar ball into place? Try to find some way to force
RPM3 to do what I need it to do? Buy a plane ticket to visit my server
(take the opportunity to drop some more RAM into it, update the whole OS
to something newer, etc)?

Thoughts?

--
Joe McCabe      AMAZING BUT TRUE ... There is so much sand in
Mozilla's Pit   Northern Africa that if it were spread out it