[svlug] XML vs HTML

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Sun Jul 8 16:27:01 PDT 2001

Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 10:04:20AM -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> >       My question to you is, as web designers, have you found a good
> > reason to switch from HTML to XML? What are the reasons?
>
> The utility of XML is more for data exchange than for marking up web
> pages.  In fact, until there is something like a mod_xml, or some sort
> of XML -> HTML "compiler", or if you're using if to store data for CGI
> programs to translate, its utility will be rather limited in web design
> since there are no web browsers (to my knowledge) that support XML
> directly.

  you can specify how the XML document should look - that's what the
style sheets (not same as CSS) are for. XML is for being able to have
both data and description of data format in standard format readable by
computers (and humans as well!) - you can use it for web pages, books,
data exchange etc...

  here's how it works:

  xml document itself

  dtd - that's where you specify the format of the document (valid tags,
which tags are required/optional etc.)

  xsl (extensible stylesheet language, there's actually xslt
(tansformations) xsl-fo (formatting objects)) - enables you to specify
how to transform xml to another (xml or not) document - that's what you
would use for getting html web page (or other format)

  when using xml you would probably use all of these together, even
though you could do without dtd and xsl.

	erik