[svlug] XML vs HTML

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Sun Jul 8 14:52:01 PDT 2001

>From: Bill Jonas <bill at billjonas.com>
>On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 10:04:20AM -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> 	My question to you is, as web designers, have you found a good
>> reason to switch from HTML to XML? What are the reasons?
>
>The utility of XML is more for data exchange than for marking up web
>pages.  In fact, until there is something like a mod_xml, or some sort
>of XML -> HTML "compiler", or if you're using if to store data for CGI
>programs to translate, its utility will be rather limited in web design
>since there are no web browsers (to my knowledge) that support XML
>directly.

Stated more simply, XML and HTML have different purposes:
* XML is machine-readable.  Another program will read it.
* HTML is Human-readable.  A person will read it with a web browser.

Alert readers may have noted that a web browser is a program.  There is a
proposal at W3C for "XHTML" based on XML.  We'll see if that goes anywhere
as the development and review process continues.  One disadvantage which
may hinder XHTML is that it takes things a step further away from being
able to create a web page with a simple text editor program.
--
Ian Kluft  KO6YQ   PP-ASEL                              sbay.org coordinator
ikluft(at)thunder.sbay.org   http://www.kluft.com/~ikluft/      San Jose, CA