[svlug] XML vs HTML

Karl F. Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Jul 8 13:20:01 PDT 2001

Very interesting Karsten. I ran into SGML when I wrote some Linux HOWTO's
a couple of years ago. A strength of SGML is the many sgml2xxxxx files
that come with it. I did write a simple data web page with sgml and used
sgml2html which worked very well. These several pages look like pages in a
book, and contain Maxwell's Equasions with some examples of their use. The
equations are complex so the equasion part of SGML was a big help.

	I'm just a little dense on extensibility. If XML has this, how
does that help me to do any work? I know that SGML doesn't cover all the
nice features of HTML, in colors and page layout. No-one has written a
converter html2sgml or html2ps or like that. If I wrote a book using XML
will it convert to ps or html well? That's the strength of SGML.

	I will get on Google and try XML and see what pops up. Thanks for
your input!

--
Yours Truly,

  	 - Karl F. Larsen, k5di at arrl.net  (505) 524-3303  -