[svlug] XML vs HTML

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Sun Jul 8 11:11:01 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 10:04:20AM -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> 	My question to you is, as web designers, have you found a good
> reason to switch from HTML to XML? What are the reasons?

The utility of XML is more for data exchange than for marking up web
pages.  In fact, until there is something like a mod_xml, or some sort
of XML -> HTML "compiler", or if you're using if to store data for CGI
programs to translate, its utility will be rather limited in web design
since there are no web browsers (to my knowledge) that support XML
directly.

OTOH, the comments above are not intended to apply to SOAP, which is a
sort-of RPC via XML over HTTP... but in any case, you wouldn't really
write web pages in XML.

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should