[svlug] XML vs HTML

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 8 10:37:01 PDT 2001

on Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 10:04:20AM -0600, Karl F. Larsen (k5di at zianet.com) wrote:

> 	I have been reading about a new file markup system called XML.
> There are books out on the language that are not real expensive.
>
> 	HTML is a good language that was easy to learn and I have several
> web pages written with HTML.
>
> 	My question to you is, as web designers, have you found a good
> reason to switch from HTML to XML? What are the reasons?

XML is a markup language specification standard.  It's not a markup
language of itself.  Think of it as a meta-markup language.
Instanciations include some SGML datatypes, however, the salient
characteristic of XML is that it is, well, extensible.

The problem with XML is that, because it is extensible, there's not much
direct use of it as such, and there are concerns that it may be possible
(despite design intent and specifications to the contrary) to use XML to
produce yet another generation of bloated, obfuscated, document formats.

Interesting stuff, but hard to get clear guidance on.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!