[svlug] Baylands Park info (Linux 10th anniversary)

Drew Bertola drew at drewb.com
Fri Jul 6 15:04:01 PDT 2001

That's what we should go with.  The volleyball issue is easy to live
with.  Everything else sounds perfect.  Hopefully, the space won't be
too small, but I envision people coming early won't stay the full day,
so even if 700 people actually show up, there may only be at most 400
at any one time.

Let's start collecting individual donations for the fee.

What about a team to do preparations?  We need 3 or 4 people to plan
and setup the barbeque, a couple people for volleyball (are there nets
already at the park?), 3 or 4 people for other activities, a
treasurer, someone to handle first aid, someone to handle water.

What about food.  Is it BYO, catered, or supplied by the group.  We
could sell tickets for the latter two cases.  That would give us a
headcount and budget.

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 02:19:02PM -0700, Ian Kluft wrote:
> OK, I collected some info.  Now I need to come back to the group to
> collect opinions and see if we want to go with this.  I'll also ask the
> SBAY Social mail list.
>
> Like I said earlier, I would have preferred parks in the hills like Alum Rock
> Park.  (I might even go ride my bike there this weekend.)  But the likelihood
> of late-Summer fire danger shutting down BBQs in those parks is probably
> reason to steer clear of them.
>
> So I stopped by Sunnyvale Baylands Park for a look.  For Aug 25 they have
> only one picnic area still available - the Eucalyptus Hollow area.  It's a
> ring of 5 picnic areas which can host up to 325 people (65 each area.)
> It costs $350 to reserve the whole thing, or $70 per section that we want
> to reserve.  If we want to go with this, we should reserve it Monday while
> it's still available.  Also, parking for all vehicles entering the park
> is $3.50/vehicle paid at the entrance, regardless of how many people are
> in the vehicle.  (This is typical of any large park - the Santa Clara County
> Parks and City of San Jose Regional Parks charge $4 entry.)
>    http://www.ci.sunnyvale.ca.us/baylands/facilit.htm
>    http://www.ci.sunnyvale.ca.us/baylands/direct.htm
>
> I took some pictures and can have them up on my web site tonight.
>
> This location has a few pluses and minuses...
> * plus: there's tons of parking right next to it, unlike the other areas.
> * plus: it's available, unlike the other areas.
> * plus: it's in a bit secluded area of the park, away from most other groups
> * minus: it's in a bit secluded area of the park, away from the restrooms
>   (it's a short walk, but still a walk)
> * minus: this picnic area is surrounded by native grasses (dry this time of
>   year) which are being preserved.  So any volleyball nets would have to
>   be set up in the common area near the other picnic areas.  But frisbees
>   should work fine anywhere there's maintained green grass, which is nearby.
>
> This park has another advantage... If you don't have a car or don't want
> to drive (or pay for parking), you can walk or bike two blocks from the
> Crossman light rail station.
>
> I thought of this park because it's central to the valley and we've seen it
> on the SBAY Geek Ride.  An interesting note, it turns out to be walking
> distance from Red Hat's Sunnyvale office.  (I just found out where that is
> on Tuesday when I gave Isaiah W a ride there.)
> --
> Ian Kluft  KO6YQ   PP-ASEL                              sbay.org coordinator
> ikluft(at)thunder.sbay.org   http://www.kluft.com/~ikluft/      San Jose, CA
>        "Carelessness and overconfidence are usually more dangerous
>        than deliberately accepted risks."   -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Drew Bertola  | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...