[svlug] How do I build a custom Debian Package Server?

Joey Hess joeyh at debian.org
Thu Jul 5 17:19:02 PDT 2001

Ivan Passos wrote:
> I think it would be something like 2 or (as a last resort) 3.
>
> My main concern is with package version control. I'd like to be able to
> choose the versions of the packages to be used in the system, and to
> "freeze" my distro when I want to. For instance, I start from Potato, but
> I wanna run kernel 2.4.x. So I need to upgrade modutils, ppp, etc. Also, I
> wanna run the latest OpenSSH version, so if there is no .deb available
> (maybe there is, but let's assume there isn't), I'd like to be able to
> create my own .deb package for this software and place it on my Debian
> Package "mirror".
>
> Is it possible to do that without forking?? I'd rather avoid this kind of
> fork, but if there is no other solution ...

Yeah, there are plenty of ways to do it without forking. You probably
want to set up a system where you feed individual .debs into an
"Incoming" directory in your archive as you see fit, and the the archive
management system takes over and moves them out of there into the proper
directories[1], runs apt-ftparchive to update the Packages files, delete
obsoleted versions of packages, and so forth. Then the source of these debs
can be anything -- locally built, pulled from the debian archive, or
whatever.

A perhaps simpler alternative would be to set up a mirror of potato or
whatever your base version of debian is (controlling the update
frequency of the mirror as you see fit). Also set up a (much smaller and
easier to manage) local apt repository which contains any updates you
provide or pull from later versions of Debian. Then clients use apt to
pull debs from both sources.

--
see shy jo

[1] You'll probably want to use a directory tree of some kind rather
    than just putting all the packages in one directory, since ext2
    filesystems can become rather slow with 7000 files in one directory.
    You can copy debian's pools directory structure or come up with your
    own, it shouldn't matter.