[svlug] free email encryption - been done before?

Drew Bertola drew at drewb.com
Tue Jul 3 23:08:01 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:25:56PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> begin  Gordon Vrololjak quotation:
>
> > I was thinking of starting a service offering encrypted email accounts
> > for people so they may read email at work without worrying that their
> > company is archiving their activities.  Anyone know if such a service
> > exists as yet?
>
> 1.  SSH home.
> 2.  Fire up mutt.

Some shops don't allow ssh outside of firewall.  Don't ask me why they
do that, something about internal network integrity.  That doesn't
stop any first day employee from bringing in a collection of cd's with
every crack known to man.

One alternative is to run PHPost over SSL from your home or colo'd
server.  You have to open up POP3, but you can restrict logins (and
all access) to SSL only.  I far prefer SSH+mutt, but it does do the
trick.

--
Drew Bertola  | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...