[svlug] is there a list of laptops that Debian support?

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Tue Jul 3 21:29:01 PDT 2001

Win Kam wrote:

> Hi,
>   I am quite new to Linux since I usually use pre-installed Solaris on Suns.
> But I wanna try Linux (probably Debian) when I get a laptop. I am guessing
> it would be hard to get Linux drivers for laptop devices.  Does anyone has a
> list of laptops that Debian support?

  yes.

  basically almost anytime you want to ask something abour linux it
makes sense to take a look at howtos on www.linuxdoc.org - there's a
linux laptop howto and sure enough it has some links to sites with
information about laptops.

  this is probably the best starting point:

  http://www.linux-laptop.net/

  btw I have hp pavilion n5170 and it works fairly well:

  working: X, network card, sound
  haven't tried yet:
    modem (internal) - might not work,
    USB, PCMCIA, (these are reported to work)
    DVD (works fine with CDs for me, haven't tried watching DVDs but it
was reported it works)

  all in all, makes a good linux notebook...

	erik