[svlug] free email encryption - been done before?

Alvin Oga alvin at planet.fef.com
Tue Jul 3 17:57:02 PDT 2001

hi ya JC, Gordon...

providing a service similar to hushmail is good idea...
but if one is thinking of being a user of it ... lets see...

to stirr the pot... am just guessing about the situation
for the user at work.....

if hushmail expects to install some kind of [en/de]cryptions
sw on the PC at work... the user may or may not have root access ..
in which case hushmail wont help ???
	- if work PCs... no user will have root access in my book...
	unless they own their own ... and maintain their own boxes

if the user simply ssh from their PC at work to their own
mail server and use ssh/hushmail/ssl/etc .. that should work ???
	- yes there's an ssh host file to the home PC...but so what???

	- ssh is probably already loaded and does NOT need additional
	root access to use it...

the firewall is probably logging all incoming and outgoing connections
so you can't hide what you are doing..... if the emails is encrypted...
than it raises another red flag in addition ...
	- if its "love letters"...they blush and leave you alone ???

if the user is using "lots" of corp pc/time to do personal stuff...
they are in trouble anyway ???? regardless of encrypted emails
or not ???? esp if those emails sit on the work pc....
	- leave those personal ( non-work ) emails off the company PCs...

- and if ya silly enough to use netscape to read emails...
  erase your cache and history files etc !!!
	- better still... dont use netscape for reading pesonal email
	from your home servers

c ya
alvin