[svlug] DNS behind a NAT firewall

Steve Hill steveh at iname.com
Mon Jul 2 22:53:01 PDT 2001

I am running a multi-unit LAN behind a firewall, connected to a "single"
static IP address issued by my DSL provider.  I am having a "thinko"
trying to figure out how I can name a unit behind the firewall, such
that it can be seen by the internet.  i.e., how do I get a name line
system.dsl.com or how do I link my domainname to my IP address?  I don't
need a cookie-cutter solution, but I need a couple of pointers that I
can follow to solve my problem.

Ultimately, I'd like to maintain my own mail and web servers behind the
firewall.

Thanks,
  Steve