[svlug] Login incorrect on FTP & FTP connection time

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Jul 2 11:01:01 PDT 2001

Con Tran writes:

> When I do a ftp from another machine, it prompts
> for a user name and password.
>
> I am very sure I have the user name create at the
> server and enter the correct password, it displays
> the following message:
> -------------------------------------
> 220 server1 FTP server (Version wu-2.6.1-16) ready.
> User (63.200.62.12:(none)): chtran
> 331 Password required for chtran.
> Password:
> 530 Login incorrect.
> Login failed.
> ------------------------------
>
> I also have set the hosts.access and hosts.deny as
> ALL:ALL
> which allow all to ftp and telnet.
>
> Any suggestion to fix this?

Your ftpd may be set up to allow anonymous access only.  This is
usually a good default nowadays, because sending a username and
password for FTP will send them in cleartext, and someone may
intercept them with a sniffer.

It's probably better to use scp or rsync -e ssh to transfer files in
and out of a regular user account.

> 2.  When I tried to do a ftp from another machine,
>     I takes few minutes before giving me a ftp prompt
>     to ask for a username and password.  It also
> happen
>     to the telnet too.

Probably a problem with reverse DNS.

Make sure that your server's DNS resolver settings are correct (in
/etc/resolv.conf) and that those servers can do an IP address --> name
lookup for the address from which you're trying to connect.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | And do not say, I will study when I