[svlug] Login incorrect on FTP & FTP connection time

Con Tran chtranlinux at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 10:54:02 PDT 2001

I have Linux 7.1 installed:

When I do a ftp from another machine, it prompts
for a user name and password.

I am very sure I have the user name create at the
server and enter the correct password, it displays
the following message:
-------------------------------------
220 server1 FTP server (Version wu-2.6.1-16) ready.
User (63.200.62.12:(none)): chtran
331 Password required for chtran.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
------------------------------

I also have set the hosts.access and hosts.deny as
ALL:ALL
which allow all to ftp and telnet.

Any suggestion to fix this?

2.  When I tried to do a ftp from another machine,
    I takes few minutes before giving me a ftp prompt
    to ask for a username and password.  It also
happen
    to the telnet too.

    Any suggestion to speed up this waiting time
period.