[svlug] MP3 header whacking?

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Sun Jul 1 15:32:01 PDT 2001

Folks,

Here's an off-topic post, but I suspect there are folks here
who have answers that I can use.

I'm experimenting with recording RealAudio broadcasts to MP3s using
a cron job.  I ran into a problem where the remote encoder was
sampling at 22.050 kHz instead of the expected 44.1k, and the
resulting MP3 plays back an octave too high.  After a few minutes
of searching, I could not find an MP3 header definition where 22.05k
was supported.

The alternative ssems to be: decode to get raw PCM at 22.05k.
Or I could take the PCM and resample, then reencode the MP3.
Neither of these is particularly appealing.

Can anyone point me the the most widely used MP3 standards, or
suggest an alternative strategy, or point me to MP3 bitwhackers?

Thanks,
Romain