[svlug] SSL certificates not from Verisign/NSI

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Dec 6 17:29:02 PST 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> I have an old certificate from Thawte, but:
> > However, Thawte is the tool of Satan, as they were bought by VeriSign
> > which, of course, owns Network Solutions.
> The last thing I'd want to do is to give a penny to those assholes at
> NetSol/VeriSign
> Do you know someone else to buy a star certificate from?
> (one that is in most browsers that is)

concur, concur, concur, concur -- Please summarize your
outcome.

OpenSSL carries:

   /usr/share/ssl/cert.pem

a substantial list -- a regexp indicates 60 are present:

bash-2.05$ grep -B 1 ^== /usr/share/ssl/cert.pem | grep -v ==
	| grep -v '^-' | wc
     60     320    2045

-------------------

ABAecom (sub., Am. Bankers Assn.) Root CA
ANX Network CA by DST
American Express CA
American Express Global CA
BelSign Object Publishing CA
BelSign Secure Server CA
Deutsche Telekom AG Root CA
Digital Signature Trust Co. Global CA 1
Digital Signature Trust Co. Global CA 2
Digital Signature Trust Co. Global CA 3
Digital Signature Trust Co. Global CA 4
Entrust Worldwide by DST
Entrust.net Premium 2048 Secure Server CA
Entrust.net Secure Personal CA
Entrust.net Secure Server CA
Equifax Premium CA
Equifax Secure CA
GTE CyberTrust Global Root
GTE CyberTrust Japan Root CA
GTE CyberTrust Japan Secure Server CA
GTE CyberTrust Root 2
GTE CyberTrust Root 3
GTE CyberTrust Root 4
GTE CyberTrust Root 5
GTE CyberTrust Root CA
GlobalSign Partners CA
GlobalSign Primary Class 1 CA
GlobalSign Primary Class 2 CA
GlobalSign Primary Class 3 CA
GlobalSign Root CA
National Retail Federation by DST
TC TrustCenter, Germany, Class 0 CA
TC TrustCenter, Germany, Class 1 CA
TC TrustCenter, Germany, Class 2 CA
TC TrustCenter, Germany, Class 3 CA
TC TrustCenter, Germany, Class 4 CA
Thawte Personal Basic CA
Thawte Personal Freemail CA
Thawte Personal Premium CA
Thawte Premium Server CA
Thawte Server CA
Thawte Universal CA Root
UPS Document Exchange by DST
ValiCert Class 1 VA
ValiCert Class 2 VA
ValiCert Class 3 VA
VeriSign Class 4 Primary CA
Verisign Class 1 Public Primary Certification Authority
Verisign Class 1 Public Primary Certification Authority - G2
Verisign Class 1 Public Primary Certification Authority - G3
Verisign Class 2 Public Primary Certification Authority
Verisign Class 2 Public Primary Certification Authority - G2
Verisign Class 2 Public Primary Certification Authority - G3
Verisign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority
Verisign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G2
Verisign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G3
Verisign Class 4 Public Primary Certification Authority - G2
Verisign Class 4 Public Primary Certification Authority - G3
Verisign/RSA Commercial CA
Verisign/RSA Secure Server CA
bash-2.05$

-- Russ herrold