[svlug] Wireless Keyboard/Mouse combo and Linux

Ivan Passos lists at cyclades.com
Thu Dec 6 15:26:01 PST 2001

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a Logitech Cordless Freedom cordless
keyboard/mouse combo. Actually I almost bought it a few minutes ago, but
then I noticed that it says in the box it supports Windows X, Y and Z.

I always thought of cordless keyboards/mouses as a hardware
implementation, in a way that the system (PC desktop) doesn't even know
it's a cordless device (i.e. it just sees a keyboard and a mouse). You
just plug the damn thing in, and it Just Works (tm).

However, after I saw the "we support Windows" logo, I was afraid that I
was wrong, and that these devices actually depend on some sort of
software/device driver magic to work.

So, the question is: do these Logitech cordless devices work in Linux
(which means my "theory" was correct), or not (which probably means that
they do depend on software support in order to work)??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Later,
Ivan