[svlug] Grub and Linux

Karl F. Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Dec 5 08:19:01 PST 2001

	Thanks to you all from this list for the info on booting 2 or more
Linux partitions with lilo. I got 2 messages from the grub-bug people who
set me straight on what to do with kernel appending. I tried it and it
works. Here is menu.lst from my new Red Hat version 7.2 system...

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,2)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Red Hat Linux 7.1
	root (hd0,3)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2 ro root=/dev/hda4 hdd=ide-scsi

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
	root (hd0,2)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda3 hdd=ide-scsi

title Windows 98 Second Edition
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1

Notice that it's just a simple "hdd=ide-scsi" that does the trick. The
menu.lst made by red hat was wrong since they left off the "hdd=" and it
didn't work. So now I can say from my personal experiance that Grub is the
way to go now. If you are running red hat 7.2 you can use 'info grub' and
get the whole picture. Let me just say Grub doesn't care how big or how
many hard drives you have. It can start any number of Linux or OS2 or
windoz partitions. It is clearly the best way to go now, even if your NOT
using Linux.

 --
Yours Truly,

  	 - Karl F. Larsen, k5di at arrl.net  (505) 524-3303  -