[svlug] Windows Refund updates

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Tue Dec 4 18:57:01 PST 2001

J. Paul Reed wrote:

> Are there any goings on that I should know about before I suit up to do
> battle with Dell corporate? Any legal precedent that might help to know?
> Any historical precedent (there are a couple of references to Dell
> customers getting refunds, but those webpages are dead links every time
> I've encountered them).

It isn't exactly strong precedent because it is only a district court
ruling, but you might want to take a look at:

http://lwn.net/2001/1108/

In that case, the court ruled that you can break off the software that
comes bundled with hardware and sell it off separately.  That's not
quite as good as getting a refund, but it might be better than nothing.