[svlug] EMLINK (mkdir: cannot create directory `foo': Too many links)

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 3 18:21:05 PST 2001

on Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:01:44AM -0800, Marc MERLIN (marc_news at valinux.com) wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 09:35:25PM -0800, Drew wrote:
> > If I do a `mkdir foo` I get:
> >
> > mkdir: cannot create directory `foo': Too many links
> >
> > This is EMLINK.
> >
> > I'd like to correct this but don't know how.  Is there a way to
> > increase the total number of links allowed?  I need to at least double
> > it.
>
> I already talked to Drew, there is a limit of 32,000 links in an
> inode, which in turn limits the number of directories in a single
> place to 31,998

32,000?  This is an odd number for a system restriction, I'd think
36,767 would be far more likely (2^15 - 1).

> There is no way to increase this  in ext2 without changing the inode
> format, which will not happen before a little while (dixit the major
> ext2 FS guys at ALS)
>
> Solutions:
>
> 1) use base/d/di/directoryname name splits
>
> 2) use another filesystem (note that the default filesystem on freebsd, and
>    probably many other FS do also have a limit of 32K directories or
>    somesuch, so for portability, you want solution #1)

FWIW, I've got a directory with 124,657 entries under reiserfs.  Reiser
can list this (output to /dev/null) in under one second.  Among the
advantages of reiserfs are its large directory handling capabilities.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/