[svlug] Browser problems

Scott Henry scotty at rahul.net
Mon Dec 3 14:23:08 PST 2001

W> One thing I failed to mention that you should make sure your web pages
W> are no more than 800 pixels wide.  I set up a 750 pixel table and fir
W> everything else in it just to make sure.

That may be insufficient to allow universal access to your page
without problems. For example, I prefer to have browser windows no
more than about 640-ish pixels wide. That started from wanting to
have 2 browser windows (or a browser and xemacs window) side-by-side
on a 1280x1024 display.

This can constrain image-heavy layouts, but it should not constrain
text-centered layout, as it is well-known in the UI field (but
obviously not well-enough known in the "web design" field) that the
optimum reading width for text is in the 40-70 char(-equivalent for
non-monospaced fonts) width range. And that will *always* (barring
rediculous font sizes) fit in a sub-640-pixel width browser.

The correct rule is to avoid specifying pixel-widths in web pages
except for image sizes. And use them sparingly and minimally even
when need is determined.

--
               More Important Drivel from:
 Scott Henry <scotty at rahul.net> /\/\/\  http://www.tenchiki.net/