[svlug] scsi troubleshooting

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Mon Dec 3 11:30:01 PST 2001

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 06:27:17AM -0500, S wrote:

> Hi
> thanks for the responses.
> as suggested I tried gpart.
> it showed 3 partitions
> 54mb of DOS FAT
> 4 gb of ext2
> 4 gb of os/2 hpfs or ntfs, qnx or advanced unix. (type 7)
>
> taking risk, i wrote this to the disk, and found
> that the second partition was my /home.
> With tomsrtbt and hpfs module, I tried mounting the third,
> mount said its not hpfs.

That floppy disk is limited in it's capability because of space
unfortunately. Linuxcare CD is a better choice. There is also a full size
CD for rescue operations and has all the tools needed for this kind of
work. I don't remember the URL but you can try to search for rescue CD or
such.

> I couldnt find the addon for ntfs, and I dont know about qnx.
> what is this advanced unix ?

QNX is Unix based (?) OS for embedded systems. It has some nice features
including Real Time, but it's a commercial product so you have to buy it.

http://www.qnx.com/

> It seems that this third partition is my root.

Most likely it's an extended partition. fstab should be written down or on
a floppy disk. Even better, each machine, servers at least, should have a
"sysconfig" or audit run on it after the installation and after major
upgrades for easier reconstruction if needed.

At work I run a script that tells me most important things about the
system, save that in a file (on another system of course) and in printed
form so that somebody else can quickly find out what's was the
original setup. A binder with info about servers configuration is most
valuable to the company. Of course there are those who rather keep that in
their heads for job security reasons...

Good backups beat all the odds of course.

--
Rafael