[svlug] EMLINK (mkdir: cannot create directory `foo': Too many links)

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Mon Dec 3 11:02:01 PST 2001

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 09:35:25PM -0800, Drew wrote:
> If I do a `mkdir foo` I get:
>
> mkdir: cannot create directory `foo': Too many links
>
> This is EMLINK.
>
> I'd like to correct this but don't know how.  Is there a way to
> increase the total number of links allowed?  I need to at least double
> it.

I already talked to Drew, there is a limit of 32,000 links in an inode,
which in turn limits the number of directories in a single place to 31,998

There is no way to increase this  in ext2 without changing the inode format,
which will not happen before a little while (dixit the major ext2 FS guys at
ALS)

Solutions:
1) use base/d/di/directoryname name splits
2) use another filesystem (note that the default filesystem on freebsd, and
   probably many other FS do also have a limit of 32K directories or
   somesuch, so for portability, you want solution #1)

Marc