[svlug] scsi troubleshooting

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Mon Dec 3 00:52:01 PST 2001

Karsten M. Self wrote:

>   - "A while" could be most or all of a day or two, particularly for a
>     larger drive.  dd isn't particularly fast, and you're literally
>     readeing *every bit on the drive*.

I vaguely recall that with efficient buffering and a fast bus, just
about any drive can be read in an hour or two.  Larger driver have a
higher linear recording density, which translates into a faster transfer
rate.

In effect, the density of the drive drops out of the calculation, and
with it the size of the drive.  The number of recording surfaces and the
number of cylinders being the only remaining variables, and these tend
to be close to constant for drives of a given physical form factor.