SOLVED, sort-of WAS: Re: [svlug] cyrus & sieve: how to troubleshoot?

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Sun Dec 2 21:31:02 PST 2001

Ajay wrote:

> * Erik Steffl <steffl at bigfoot.com> [011202 02:37], about
>
> :------------------------- /etc/inetd.conf
> :...
> :lmtp            stream  tcp     nowait  cyrus   /usr/sbin/cyrdeliver
> :/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver -l
>
> As well as in here.  I think the sieve daemon (timsieved?) is only required
> when you're not using the 'homedir' option (which is how we used it).
> I don't have the cyrus setup i did in front of me, so I can't quite recall..
> Check the syntax, turn on the duplicate delivery suppression on (-e) above,
> and.. let me know if that doesn't work.
>
> >-- End of excerpt from Erik Steffl
>
> I think your script looks okay, I assume you tested it too though.  You
> might want to try the cyrus mailling list (they have archives online.  Both
> in IMAP and web format!) for more info, since all these issues, and more,
> have been discussed there before. ;)

  I already asked on both cyrus mailing list and debian-user and got
some useful info but there seems to be no way to reasonably test the
sieve and get some feedback.

  and it really looks like there is NO feedback from sieve which is a
serious drawback. I just found out what the last problem was but I had
to debug the sieve test to figure out what the problem is and the error
message is ignored by test (not printed out). The last error was that I
included the reject statement twice in the .sieve file (once with
Subject, once with subject). But cyrus doesn't say absolutely anything
and sieve test only said that sieve returned an error (-1237848061,
which is SIEVE_RUN_ERROR, not helpful at all).

  I guess I'll file some bug (wishlist?) against cyrus but at the
version 2+ I'd expect that there is SOME way to troubleshoot other than
debugging (=unusable by 'normal'users).

	erik