[svlug] Browser problems

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Dec 2 09:37:02 PST 2001

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001 07:31:16 -0500
Bill Jonas <bill at billjonas.com> wrote:

> I might as well jump in and ask for an opinion here.  On my site,
> I play a few stupid font tricks, but not many.  I never specify
> absolute sizes or a particular font, though, and it's only things
> like '<font size="+2">' and '<font size="-1">'.  It's mainly for
> subtly emphasizing and de-emphasizing certain sections of the
> page.  It displays well in text browsers.  In the opinion of the
> group, is this acceptable, or should the <font> tag be avoided
> entirely?

I use the font tag in exactly the way you specify, and also use
percentage values to get a more fine grained/deterministic result.
This seems reasonable.  What I don't like (and see all too commonly
(eg most NUKE sites)) are literal font sizes in HTML.  Aiieee!

Happily Galeon provides an easy control (accessible from the
toolbar) to scale the size of the fonts on a given displayed page
or or down.

--
J C Lawrence