[svlug] Browser problems

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Dec 1 18:43:01 PST 2001

On Sat, 01 Dec 2001 20:10:39 -0600
Walt DuBose <dubose at texas.net> wrote:

> What I would do is use the W3 validator
> (http://validator.w3.org/file-upload.html) and try to write in
> HTML 3.0 compliant (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32).

At this point I'd recommend using XHTML.  Its not that much more
difficult (well, there are some case sensitivity issues and ALL tags
are closed now).  You're going to have to do XHTML down the road
anyways.  Might was well get used to is now.

> I personally check what I write (in HTML 3.0) on Netscape 7.2 and
> the latest Mozilla.  If it looks Ok in Netscape, it should look in
> Mozilla.

The biggest thing I've trying to wean myself from is using tables
for layout.  Its not needed and it makes things unnecessarily
tougher on people using non-GUI browsers:

  http://tara.scdi.org/coding/tableless/
  http://alistapart.com/stories/tohell/

Pay careful attention to (not my work):

  http://www.netspace.net.au/

Look Mum, no tables!  (Unless your using 'scrape 4.x in which case
you'll be redirected to a tabled page).

--
J C Lawrence