[svlug] Browser problems

Walt DuBose dubose at texas.net
Sat Dec 1 18:11:01 PST 2001

"Karl F. Larsen" wrote:

>         I have 3 browsers I can use which are linux Netscape 4.71, and
> Mozilla late version and win98 Internet Explorer. I have made a web
> page(s) for a client and I must say looking at the pages with each browser
> makes it look different as in BAD!
>
>         There seems to be no standard font or size and <font size+3> is a
> differnet size on all three browsers...
>
> --
> Yours Truly,
>
>          - Karl F. Larsen, k5di at arrl.net  (505) 524-3303  -
>                         http://www.zianet.com/k5di/

Sad but true Carl.

What I would do is use the W3 validator
(http://validator.w3.org/file-upload.html)
and try to write in HTML 3.0 compliant
(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32)
.
Try HTML 4.0 (http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_reference.asp or
http://www.loc.gov/iug/html40/) if you want.

BTW, as far as I know, HTML 4.01 had been un-officially adopted
as the HTML version for the U.S. government plus using Bobby
(http://www.cast.org/bobby/) to validate it as Section 508
(http://section508.gov/) compliant...this is a requirement of U.S.
government web pages.

I personally check what I write (in HTML 3.0) on Netscape 7.2 and the
latest Mozilla.  If it looks Ok in Netscape, it should look in
Mozilla.

Walt DuBose