[svlug] Browser problems

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat Dec 1 15:49:01 PST 2001

begin Karl F. Larsen quotation of Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 03:44:35PM -0700:

> 	There seems to be no standard font or size and <font size+3> is a
> differnet size on all three browsers...

Web "design" can never specify a page pixel-by-pixel, and should not
try to.  Font sizes will vary depending on what fonts a user has
installed, how his or her system is configured, and what preferences
he or she has selected for the browser.

Line lengths will sometimes vary depending on the width of the user's
browser window.

This is a good thing, and part of the reason people like the web.

If something is not clear on one platform you have, it is probably
not clear on other platforms, too.  Web design needs to work well
with a variety of possible text sizes and page widths.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti at zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
KG6INA                                               http://burnallgifs.org/