[svlug] video card recommendation

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Sep 11 17:05:05 PDT 2000

begin  SFIKE at twa.com quotation of Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 06:46:07PM +0000:

> I was just wanting to get some opinions on what video card to buy for my
> built-from-scratch Linux box.

First, check your favorite distribution's hardware compatibility list,
or the XFree86 list at http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html

You should be able to get a Matrox Millennium II, Mystique, or possibly
a G200, in your price range via mail order. All well-supported, decent
cards.

Not that Matrox is a very Linux-friendly company, though, so I hope
someone will come up with suggestions for a good mid-price card whose
manufacturer actively supports X or other free software.

--
Don Marti                                This email brought to you
dmarti at zgp.org                           by the number 67 and the