[svlug] 'Stupid Tax' -- origins?

Rob Walker rob at valinux.com
Wed May 31 21:20:51 PDT 2000

>>>>> On Wed, 31 May 2000 13:06:26 -0700, kmself at ix.netcom.com said:

kmself> I'm trying to track down the origins of the term "Stupid Tax"
kmself> to describe the rationale for contributing code modifications
kmself> back to the codebase maintainer.  Or specifically, the cost of
kmself> not doing so, that being having to maintain a seperate and
kmself> divergent development branch.  Unfortunately, Google and Deja
kmself> searches tend to point back to me.  I know I'm not the person
kmself> who invented the phrase.

This is the first time that I have heard that phrase not in relation
to Lotteries, e.g.,

"The Lottery is a tax on people who can't do math."

rob