[svlug] Re: There is as much PRO as AGAINST ... <- NEW: Here's the solution!!!

Dan Martinez dfm at area.com
Wed May 31 14:58:11 PDT 2000

> Any complaints?!?!?!

Ugh. Plenty. Fortunately, they can be summed up neatly in a single
sentence:

    Please don't dick with subject headers.

I use two fairly smart mailreaders, Gnus and Mutt, neither of which is
easily fazed when it comes to piecing conversational threads together.
While your manipulation of subject headers doesn't keep them from
correctly threading your messages, it does force them to display the
subject lines of your responses. This is more than slightly annoying.

My advice would be to leave the generation of subject headers to your
mailreader, which is likely to do a perfectly reasonable job of it.

Waving your arms about and acting aggrieved, is accomplishing little,
in my eyes, beyond making you look somewhat silly and self-important.
Liberally sprinkling your prose with exclamation marks, italics, and
all caps isn't helping, either. (Not that you're likely to give a damn
about my opinion per se, but perhaps I'm not the only one so
affected.)

Dan