[svlug] Re: There is as much PRO as AGAINST ... <- NEW: Here's the solution!!!

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 31 14:03:03 PDT 2000

begin  Bryan -TheBS- Smith quotation:

> I sometimes copy the subject into the first line of the body.  The
> reason being that some mail readers put the subject somewhere not
> very visible (especially when you open it).  So sue me.

Since you asked for our views, here's mine:  Please don't do that.
If people want to read the header, they'll read the header.  If they
don't like how their MUAs work, they can switch MUAs.

[Bryan files some objection to trimming of over-long subject lines]

> So WTF is the problem here?!?!?!

It's a subject line, not a novel.

> I beg to differ.

Be that way, then.  You asked for comment:  You got it.  I considered
your earlier practices obnoxious for readily understandable reasons, and
your proposed practice equally so.  And I've explained why, occupying
rather more time than I can spare, and benefitting me personally not at
all.

> I should point to your never lasting Outlook discussion.  I don't know
> how many times things went everywhere on that one!

I am unclear on both (1) what you're talking about, (2) its relevance
to the current discussion, and (3) your point.

On the face of it, this would appear to be another gratuitous attempt at
some sort of irrelevant personal slam, but perhaps you can clarify.

--
Cheers,     "Not using Microsoft products is like being a non-smoker 40 or 50
Rick Moen    years ago:  You can choose not to smoke, yourself, but it's hard